Deep Dark Chocolate Biscotti
Delicious and healthy biscotti go very well with a cup of coffee. This recipe makes 2 ½ dozen cookies.
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. flax seed ground
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 egg whites large
- 1 egg yolks
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sliced almonds unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
- Combine flour, ground flax seed, soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine sugars, egg whites, and egg in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture; stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate and almonds.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 6-inch-long roll.
- Arrange rolls 3 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pat to a 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until firm.
- Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut rolls diagonally into 30 (1/2-inch) slices. Place, cut sides down, on baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°; bake 7 minutes.
- Turn cookies over; bake 7 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool).
- Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.