Tuesday is TIP TUESDAY. Look here for culinary tips, and other stuff.
Cook’s Country Magazine inspired the following tip.
Scenario: You go to the supermarket and keep a couple packages of meat or seafood in the fridge to use within the next few days. What’s the result? Yucky meat and seafood juice on the refrigerator shelf!!!
Solution: Keep a rimmed baking sheet with a wire rack on the bottom shelf so the juices spill on the pan and not on your shelves.
Beware: NEVER use damp oven mitts. You will burn your skin. I am serious. DID IT.
Those of you who are WILD about Greek flavoring, I have a gift for you – a DIY recipe.
This is a perfect combination of flavors to bring the taste of Greece to a dish.
Makes 1/4 cup
Total time: 10 minutes
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
2 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. table salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. granulated garlic
- Spread the lemon zest evenly on a plate, and microwave until dry and zest separates when crumbled between your fingers (about 2 minutes). Stir half way through the microwave cycle.
- Combine oregano, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and lemon zest in a small bowl. You can store seasoning for up to 1 week at room temperature.
A word about granulated garlic: You can substitute granulated garlic with any of the following:
- Garlic salt
- Garlic powder
- Garlic juice
Raise your hand if you love cheese, all different kinds. I remember when I entertained a lot that I would have many scrumptious cheeses in the house to serve my guest.
To store cheese for a long time, keep the wedge wrapped in parchment paper and then in aluminum foil. Paper allows cheese to breathe and foil prevents it from drying out.
This tip I think is so very INGENIOUS.
Do you struggle with paper recipes? I do! A paper recipe taking up counter space drives me so very nuts. This is what you can do.
- At your home superstore, purchase two 1 1/4 inch super strong neo dymium magnets.
- Tape one magnet on the inside of a cabinet door.
- Tape the other one on the outside of the cabinet so that they are approximately in the same spot.
Insert paper recipe as shown in the picture.
Anyone who knows me well understands that I need to put safety measures in place when I clean my extra gunky knives.
This is what I do.
- Place the knife flat on a cutting board.
- With the rough side of a sponge, scrub the knife on one side.
- Turn the knife over, and repeat on the other side.
I actually put it in the dishwasher to finish the job.
All the gunk will be gone.
On the Mediterranean diet path to weigh loss:
Eating foods that are main meals should be taken in the early hours of the day.
Usually in a Mediterranean diet, lunch is the major food. By eating a larger meal early in the day, you reduce the risk of overeating later.
According to research people who ate their largest meal before 3pm are the ones who will lose more weight compared to those that eat the largest meal beyond 3pm.
I was out of ideas for a quick side dish, so I scanned my pantry and I found the following:
- box of Minute Rice
- frozen spinach
- canned mushrooms
- olive oil
This is what I came up with for my side dish:
- Boil 1 cup of water, and add 1 cup of Minute Rice.
- Stir and set it aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain a can of mushrooms and add to the rice.
- Add a cup of frozen spinach.
- Drizzle about 2 tbsp. olive oil onto the mixture.
- Place the mixture on a burner and stir until all is warmed up (about 3 minutes.)
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
It was very good.
Caramelized onions at your fingertips
Sometimes you just don’t have time to make tasty add-ins, like caramelized onions. These are great on burgers. Ah, there is a trick that I will reveal to you right now.
When you make a batch of caramelized onions, make an especially big batch. Then, freeze some in a silicone ice cube tray. Once they are solid, pop them out of the ice cube tray and into a freezer bag.
When you need some caramelized onions to slap onto a grilled cheese sandwich, just grab one from the freezer and quickly thaw it for 45 seconds in the microwave. There you go.