Tuesday is TIP TUESDAY. Look here for culinary tips, and other stuff.
On the Mediterranean diet path to weigh loss:
Eating foods that are main meals should be taken in the early hours of the day.
Usually in a Mediterranean diet, lunch is the major food. By eating a larger meal early in the day, you reduce the risk of overeating later.
According to research people who ate their largest meal before 3pm are the ones who will lose more weight compared to those that eat the largest meal beyond 3pm.
I was out of ideas for a quick side dish, so I scanned my pantry and I found the following:
- box of Minute Rice
- frozen spinach
- canned mushrooms
- olive oil
This is what I came up with for my side dish:
- Boil 1 cup of water, and add 1 cup of Minute Rice.
- Stir and set it aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain a can of mushrooms and add to the rice.
- Add a cup of frozen spinach.
- Drizzle about 2 tbsp. olive oil onto the mixture.
- Place the mixture on a burner and stir until all is warmed up (about 3 minutes.)
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
It was very good.
Caramelized onions at your fingertips
Sometimes you just don’t have time to make tasty add-ins, like caramelized onions. These are great on burgers. Ah, there is a trick that I will reveal to you right now.
When you make a batch of caramelized onions, make an especially big batch. Then, freeze some in a silicone ice cube tray. Once they are solid, pop them out of the ice cube tray and into a freezer bag.
When you need some caramelized onions to slap onto a grilled cheese sandwich, just grab one from the freezer and quickly thaw it for 45 seconds in the microwave. There you go.