Green Beans Almondine
An excellent side dish that can complement any meal.
- 1 lb. French green beans trimmed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 medium shallots finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water liberally with kosher salt (it should be very salty to taste).
- Blanch the green beans for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until they are crisp-tender and slightly squeaky between your teeth. (slightly undercooked)
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat until lightly bubbling. Add the sliced almonds and sauté, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are starting to turn golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the chopped shallots and garlic. Sauté for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly caramelized.
- Using a large slotted spoon, tongs, or kitchen spider, transfer the blanched green beans from the boiling water directly to the skillet. Sauté briefly, gently tossing the green beans with the almond mixture until evenly combined and the green beans are tender.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, toss once again, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.