I love an apple. So many years ago, I taught 5th graders, and the cliché ” an apple for the teacher” was actually valid. Every now and then a student would leave one on my desk.
Nostalgia aside, apples are my favorite fruit. Those who enjoy a tart flavor would love a Macintosh. My personal favorite is the Delicious. You can tell a good one by its deep red color. This fruit has all kinds of health benefits.
- Good for weight loss because they are low in calorie and filling.
- High in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin C.
- Has a nutrient that is known to have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-depressant qualities.
Here are a couple of quick ideas for my favorite fruit.
Almond Butter and Apple Slices
When I get the hungry horrors, I reach for the almond butter and slice up an apple. Almond butter pairs very well with the fruit as a snack.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple and Tuna Salad
This is an amazingly delicious but easy lunch:
- Cut an apple into bite size pieces.
- Dice 1 stalk of celery (small pieces).
- Open a can of tuna fish (in water) and drain it well.
- Combine the apple, celery, and the tuna in a mixing bowl and add 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise and a dash or 2 of paprika and mix.
- Throw a handful of walnuts (pecans) into the mixture.
- Eat with big spoon. (I like the crunch factor.) Check out these recipes:
Apple Cider Doughnut Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ½ cup melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup tart apples peeled and shredded (2 medium)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees .
- Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and cover the edges with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, apple cider, butter, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg on medium speed for 2 minutes., scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in apples and place the mixture into the pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let stand for 20 minutes. Run metal spatula around the inside and outside edges of the pan to loosen cake.
- Place cake on cooling rack over waxed paper.
- Brush top and sides of cake with melted butter.
- In small bowl mix sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon until blended, and press cinnamon mixture on top of cake.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Because I love interesting stories, I have included the tale of a man who was forced to shoot an apple off of his son’s head. Read more.