Sicilian Style Broccoli
A Sicilian classic, spicy broccoli and tomatoes tossed together with a hint of garlic
- 2 fresh cayenne peppers sliced, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 fresh tomatoes
- 14 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic whole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in 1 pepper.
- Cut an "x" shape in the bottom of each tomato. Add tomatoes and broccoli to water.
- Simmer until broccoli has softened slightly and the tomato skins have separated from the pulp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes and broccoli with a slotted spoon. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, remove and discard skins.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add 2 cloves of garlic, the broccoli, remaining sliced cayenne pepper, and tomatoes. Stir in drained pasta and cook over medium heat until heated
- Top with cheese and extra-virgin olive oil before serving.