Zucchini Flowers (Fiori di zucchini)
This recipe is an original Sicilian recipe. It is meant to be an appetizer.
- yellow zucchini flowers
- 1 ¾ oz. plain all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 egg whites
- 8 – 12 zucchini flowers
- Oil for deep frying
- Lemon wedges
- Sift flour into bowl. Stir in ¼ tsp salt.
- Mix in olive with a wooden spoon.
- Slowly add ⅓ – ½ cup warm water.
- Change to a whisk when the flour becomes liquid.
- Continue whisking until batter is smooth and thick.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Gently shake each flower to be sure it is clean and insect free.
- Trim stem of each flower leaving at least ¾ to 1 in 0n end so you have something to hold onto when dipping into the batter.
- Heat deep-frying oil. Don’t let the oil get too hot.
- Dip one at a time into the batter coating both sides
- Fry flowers in batches until golden brown turning once.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with lemon wedge and a glass of white wine.